Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ain’t No Cure For The Summertime Blues

It’s no wonder
That I have
Bad dreams
At night
Who can sleep
With all this
Ungodly heat
AC humming
And buzzing
Shifting gears
Like a cement truck
Mixing and
Pouring concrete
For some
Highway
Construction
Project
I got bum legs
And my skin
Itches and crawls
From all the humidity
And the medications
That my pill pushing MD
Keeps tagging me with
The meds
Give me dry mouth
So I keep
A bottle
Of water
Handy at
All times
I have a swollen
Prostate
The bane
Of modern man
So I have to
Hop in and out
Of bed
A half dozen
Times or so
To pee
Half awake
Half asleep
Stubbing toes
Barking shins
Stepping on the cat
Hearing the neighbors
Fighting
Again
Thinking
I want to eat
Something
Sweet
Night time
Is a dangerous time
For diabetics
With late night
Sugar cravings
But wouldn’t
A nice ice cold
Coca-cola
Be just the thing
Right about now?

jhmarkowitz
Philadelphia, Pa. 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment