Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Your Goddamn Betty Davis Eyes

All right
I finally get it
You really
Do not
Want
Anything more
To do with me
I get it
I understand
Watch
See?
I am raising
The white flag
Of surrender

Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
Birds singing in the sycamore trees
Dream a little dream of me.


However
There is one last
Remaining
Problem that is causing
Me a lot of grief
I still have
All
Of your old
Photos
You know
The ones
We took
When
We were
So happy
together

Say nighty-night and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you’ll miss me
While I’m alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me.


Believe me
I have tried
Several different
Times
To either
Tear up the pictures
Or to send them back
To you
But I still have them
Unable to do either


Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I’m longing to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this



There is one photo
In particular
The one of you
Simply smiling
Back at me
Through the camera lens
Some balmy autumn day
When we were out and about
Just glad to be together
I just can’t bear
To let the picture go

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me.


I suppose
It’s your eyes
Your big brown
Betty Davis eyes
Yeah that’s
The reason
It’s your eyes!
Damn it!
Your goddamn
Big brown
Betty Davis eyes!

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me.


Yes
Dear
Will you please try
Please just try
For old times sake
If for no other reason
To once in a while
Dream a little dream of me?

Stars Shining Bright Above You
By Louis Armstrong



jhmarkowitz
Philadelphia, Pa. 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment