Friday, January 7, 2011

Smoke and Mirrors

7/18/07

(Words in italics to be sung softly to the tune “La Vie En Rose” as sung by Edith Piaf)

“Hold me close and hold me fast
The magic spell you cast
This is la vie en rose…”

Here today, gone tomorrow
Today’s joy is the morrow’s sorrow
In sickness and in health
Living on borrowed wealth
Concentrating all on self…

“When you kiss me heaven sighs
And though I close my eyes
I see la vie en rose…”

I build my castles in the air
Play at war like Fred Astair
Never tripping or falling
Never in danger of stalling
Winning kudos like Linus Pauling…

“And when you press me to your heart
I’m in a world apart
A world where roses bloom…”

In the mirrored hall I pause, a slight delay
As I prepare to rejoin the fray
To vainly smooth my hair
When in my mind’s eye
I happen to see such a glimpse of me
Of all that I am or ever hoped to be
And I shudder to wonder…
Is it all just so much smoke?
Or is it really me?

“Give your heart and soul to me
And life will always be
La vie en rose…”

j.h. markowitz
philadelphia, pa.
7/18/07

No comments:

Post a Comment