Monday, January 9, 2012

Like A Candle In The Wind


And it seems to me
That you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain came in-
Elton John

I know now that
I have been living on
Borrowed time
For quite
Some time now

How do I know?
I know because
I can feel it in my bones
The endless and ruthless
Ticking of the clock

Do you know who
Is the true inventor of
Planned obsolescence?
God, that’s who

Who was it that ordained
That there be only
Two titties per person
To suckle the millions of
Hungry mouths
Who are being born
Into this tired
And miserly world
Every hour
Of every day?

I am tired
All of the time now
And yet
I cannot fall asleep
I have spent years
Trying to make the
Prearrangements for
My own funeral
Without success
And the price tag just
Keeps on climbing

Oh well
I guess that
Poor planning is
Better than
No planning at all

jhmarkowitz
Philadelphia, Pa. 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment