Wednesday, February 2, 2011

You (Yeah You)

(And a tip of the hat to Judy Garland)

You
Yeah you
You made me love you
Don’t think you didn’t do it
Don’t think you didn’t do it
Why deny it?

(I didn’t want to do it
I didn’t want to do it)

You
Yeah you
You made me love you

(It hurts so much to admit it
It hurts so much to admit it)

Give me
Give me what I cry for
If it isn’t too much to try for
It's what I was willing to lie and die for

Because you knew
you knew
that you had me
Dead to rights
(like a deer in the head lights
like a deer in the head lights)

Right from the very start
(with every beat of my heart
with every beat of my heart)

You,
Yeah you
You with those big brown
Betty Davis eyes
(Jeepers, creepers,
Where’d you get those peepers?)
Where'd you get those thighs?

You knew
You knew I never even had a chance
That all it would take
was just one glance
But you always knew it wouldn’t last
Didn’t you?
Didn’t you?

(It hurts so much to admit it
It hurts so much to admit it)

I didn’t want to tell you
How could I ever do it
I guess I just thought
That you always knew it
(That you always knew it)

And I always knew
That, somehow, I’d find a way to screw it
I’d find a way to screw it
Dear, you made me feel so bad
Leaving me like you had
But there were times
When you made me feel so glad

(Happy sometimes, yeah I admit it
Happy sometimes, yeah I admit it)

Kisses?
Kisses sure
You knew that's what I’d die for
Why do you think I cry for?

Sure, I want some lovin that's true
Wouldn’t you?
(You know you do
You know you do)

Yeah baby
You made me want to love you
(Perhaps I should sue
Perhaps I should sue)

But then again
What earthly good
What earthly good
Would it do?

j.h.markowitz
Philadelphia, Pa. 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment